The Early Childhood Education programs prepares students to work with young children in a variety of early learning settings. After successfully completing one of the “Assistant” designated ECE courses, students may apply to the ECE Registry for certification as an assistant (ECE-A), and work in the field while attending classes. In the certificate and diploma programs, through study of such topics as Child Development, Curriculum Development, and Child, Family & Community – as well as practical exposure through practicum placements in licensed child-care programs – students gain the knowledge and experience needed to apply for certification as an Early Childhood Educator.
Applications for the ECE Assistant Program will close on December 17, 2023
Applications for the ECE C/Diploma/Infant & Toddler/Special Needs Programs will close on January 1, 2024
Program Schedule can be viewed here.
There are several options of study available in the college’s ECE department:
- ECE-Assistant: one course that allows students to be certified as an assistant to work in childcare centres. Students may choose from the following classes ($585 each):
- ECED 1110: Child Development 1
- ECED 2110: Child Development 2
- ECED 1120: Health, Safety & Nutrition
- ECED 1170: Guiding Behaviour
- ECE-Certificate: A 41 credit certificate program that allows students to obtain Early Childhood Educator – Basic certification as a licensed ECE.
- ECE-Diploma: a 60 credit diploma program that combines the early childhood educator certificate with post-basic “Special Needs Educator” certification
- ECE Post-Basic:
- Special Needs Educator: a 22 credit program that allows students who have already completed their ECE Basic certification to obtain Special Needs certification.
- Infant / Toddler Educator: a 22 credit program that allows students who have already complete their ECE Basic certification to obtain Infant/Toddler certification.
Graduates receive the appropriate Early Childhood Education certification from the ECE Registry in Victoria.
The ECE program uses a hybrid model of instruction with most courses taught online.
Previous Students: If you are applying for an ECE program and have taken courses at the college before, please contact the RMC office at firstname.lastname@example.org instead of creating a new application. This will allow us to link your new application to any previously completed courses.