View link or apply on Indeed
Classification title: UBC Wild & Immersive Program Facilitator (Outdoor Education)
Department: UBC Malcolm Knapp Research Forest (MKRF)
Schedule: Part-time hours (20-35 hours per week) depending on bookings and candidate availability. Programs are run Mon-Fri with occasional weekend events.
Probationary period: 4 months
The Wild & Immersive Program Facilitator is responsible for leading outdoor programs to youth and adult groups. The Program Facilitator will assist with Wild & Immersive’s outdoor environmental education and recreational programming, and be part of the Wild & Immersive weekly Forest School program for ages 3-12.
Under the supervision of MKRF’s Field Program Manager & the Wild & Immersive Coordinator, the Program Facilitator will work closely with other Program Facilitators and Wild & Immersive team members.
· Facilitating weekly outdoor forest school programs from Sept-May on Tuesdays and Thursdays for ages 5-7 and 10-12.
· Facilitating weekly outdoor forest preschool programs from Sept-May on Mondays and Wednesdays for ages 3-5.
· Facilitating outdoor educational day camps for youth ages 5-12 (SD42 Pro-D day, Spring Break, Summer).
· Facilitating outdoor field trips for schools K-12 and adult programs.
· Facilitating special events.
· Ensuring the safety of all program participants.
· Assisting in the organization of programs and camps.
· Working closely with other Program Facilitators during programs.
· Ensuring program materials are organized, cleaned, and in safe working condition.
This position will require physical activity and working outdoors in all weather conditions.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
Must exercise judgment based upon a thorough knowledge of procedures, guidelines, and regulations. Must exercise judgment based upon the safety and liability of our team and guests. Incorrect decisions will directly affect the University’s and department’s reputation with government authorities, community and faculty, staff and students and general public and could require intervention by supervisory and or senior management.
This position will receive supervision from the Field Education Manager and Wild & Immersive Coordinator on a regular basis.
EDUCATION AND/OR WORK EXPERIENCE
· Minimum of a high school diploma.
· A completed or an on-going degree in environmentally-related sciences or education and recreation is an asset or relevant work experience and knowledge.
· ECE Certificate is considered an asset.
· Experience working with groups, specifically children is an asset.
· Current first aid WCB Level 1 certificate or Standard First Aid. Remote First Aid is considered an asset.
· Class 5 Driver’s License with a clean driver’s abstract.
· Current Criminal Record Check.
Preference will be given to candidates with experience working with youth groups and with candidates that have recreation certifications (or relevant education and work experience).
· Excellent communication skill, both oral and written.
· Comfortable managing and speaking to large groups.
· Comfortable working with and supervising children.
· Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions.
· Comfortable working alone and in team-settings.
Job Type: Part-time
Part-time hours: 20-35 per week
Salary: From $23.00 per hour
- Day shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Maple Ridge, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- What days of the week are you available to work?
Work Location: In person